The church of St Peter comprises a nave, chancel, north aisle, and western tower.
The tower, built in the early 14th century, has a square base and an octagonal top which may have been designed for a steeple. The nave and chancel appear to be chiefly 14th- or early 15th-century work. The considerable rebuilding undertaken in the 14th century may account for the reports that Peter de la Mare, the lord of the manor, built and endowed a ‘chapel’ in 1341. The carved pulpit dates from the 17th century.
The church was put into 'very neat repair' by Dr. John Lane. Later, in 1806, Sir Christopher Willoughby removed the east window with its old glass to the north aisle, and replaced it with a copy of Guido Reni's Annunciation. Willoughby had originally given this painting to Corpus Christi College, but the college had returned it when they acquired another altar-piece.
|
The
church interior prior to 1890
| Sir Christopher was also responsible for adding a north aisle, whose wooden pillars and arches were described by contemporaries as 'very bad' and looking as if they were cut out of cheap board. |
The north aisle was enlarged and rebuilt between 1888 and 1890. The east window was restored to its original place and the painting placed in the aisle. A new stone font was installed.