Place names within the Baldons

We can guess the likely origin of a few of these. Do you know their origins or know of any other interesting local place names?


  • Wilmots – the cul de sac in Toot Baldon. There was a charity established in 1608 from the will of Leonard Wilmott, to provide funds towards the relief of the poor inhabitants parish of Nuneham Courtenay which, at that time, included parts of the Baldons. Is this connected with the name of this road? Or is it related to a more recent Mr Wilmot who used to graze his cattle nearby?
  • The Croft – means a small enclosed field, but where exactly was that field? A c.1700 map from The Queen’s College refers to Binchcroft and Little Binchcroft in that area.
  • Tinny Lane – also known by some previously as Tin Lane, due to the scrap metal (actually steel, not tin!), brought from the car plant in Cowley in the 1950s to provide a more solid foundation. In the late 19th century it was known as Dirty Lane!
  • Pebble Hill – which is thought (probably) to be part of the old Roman Road. Presumably, before it was coated with tarmac, it was laid with pebbles?  
  • The Perry – field East of Pebble Hill. Presumably this was once a pear orchard?
  • Potlands – at the western end of Toot Baldon. A c.1700 map from The Queen’s College refers to Potland, to the South of the main road whereas the current Potland Cottages are on the North side of the road. Apparently, fragments of ancient pots were found here. It is near to where the Roman Road is thought to have passed. 
  • Quidman’s Lane or Cridman’s Lane – in Toot Baldon - this is understood to be either immediately to the North of the old village school or perhaps further to the West?
  • Court Leys “leys” generally refers to pasture or grassland. The place name possibly derives from the large field which lay to the South of Court House Farm and stretched nearly as far as the church. Alternatively, it may have been named after Louches Court—the house of the medieval lord of the manor of Baldon St. Lawrence, which has long since disappeared.
  • Durham Leys – the farm at the Northeast corner of the Green. Why Durham?
  • Stukey Lane / Lain - at the top of Pebble Hill, where the Roebuck Inn used to be, but where exactly was it and why was it so called?
  • Ham Piece / Field a field belonging to Court House Farm.
  • Belchers – ditto.
  • Goose Green – a field to the Southeast of St Lawrence Church. Did geese once graze here?
  • Windmill Hill – further Southeast of St Lawrence Church. Was there once a windmill here? When was it built? When did it disappear?